Animal tissue is typically labelled with 14C, for example, in ADME (absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion) or environmental fate studies. In addition, 3H can be also used separately or together with 14C in double label experiments.
Materials and Equipment
- 600 OX Oxidizer (Hidex)
- 600 OX Radiocarbon cocktail or/and 600 OX Tritium cocktail (Hidex)
- Ceramic sample boats (Hidex)
- LSC vials 20 ml
- Tissue sample slicing (typically 30-60 mg) into a ceramic sample boat.
- Weight measurement of the tissue sample
- The ceramic sample boats and empty LSC vials are placed into 600 OX Oxidizer
- Combustion time of 1-4 minutes is selected
- Start the automated combustion
- After combustion, cap the LSC vials and measure the 14C and/or 3H activity with a LSC instrument